Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Department of Redundancy Department

I seem to be repeating myself a lot lately. Repeating. A lot. Repeating myself. Ugh.

My marketing campaign starts this week. I keep posting the same bio, and the same jacket copy, over and over.

In fact, here it is again:

About Kate Kaynak
I was born and raised in New Jersey, but I was able to escape. My degree from Yale says I was a psych major, but my true course of study was
YPMB.
After serving a five-year sentence in graduate school, I started teaching psychology around the world for the University of Maryland.
While in Izmir, Turkey, I started up a conversation with a handsome stranger in an airport. I ended up marrying him.
We now live in New Hampshire with our three preschool-aged kids, where I enjoy reading, writing, and fighting crime with my amazing superpowers.

Minder
Sixteen-year-old Maddie Dunn is special, but she needs to figure out how to use her new abilities before somebody else gets hurt. Ganzfield is a secret training facility full of people like her, but it's not exactly a nurturing place.
Every social interaction carries the threat of mind-control.
A stray thought can burn a building to the ground.
And people's nightmares don't always stay in their own heads.
But it's still better than New Jersey.
Especially once she meets the man of her dreams...

I sometimes change out the "YPMB" line, if the bio's going somewhere without link-access. But that's my life, distilled down to 100 words. Sometimes I think I'll be puttering around the nursing home in 2050, muttering about how I escaped from New Jersey. And I'll still be gushing about that book I wrote to anyone who can't move out of earshot fast enough.

I hope some of the other nursing home residents have dementia, so I'll always have a fresh audience.

6 comments:

Disgruntled Bear said...

How sick is it to wish dementia on my future nursing-home-mates?

Andrea Franco-Cook said...

Sorry, I haven't been following your blog. Congrats on your book. You have an impressive bio, but IMHO, I think it would help if you spelled out the acronym YPMB. Never assume people know what you know. All the best on your journey to publication.

Carole Anne Carr said...

Ok, I know you are disgruntled, but carefully read what you have written, it can't all be that dire! Would any one else have a reaction like mine, or is it just me? Hugs...

Brenda said...

NJ isn't that bad. Of course, I managed to escape it myself.

Disgruntled Bear said...

Thanks for the feedback, everyone! Sorry if I seem grumpier than usual--I think I need a vacation, and the nearest break in my schedule looks to be in about September of 2016...

Andrea, thanks for the good wishes. There's a link embedded in the "YPMB" (Yale Precision Marching Band--which is not precise and doesn't march), but the blue font color made it invisible.

Carole, thanks for the hugs. I really didn't like living in New Jersey, which is why the two parts of my bio where I did (childhood and grad school) come across so negatively. I've LOVED living in so many other places, including Hopkinton, NH, my current home.

Brenda, I know you escaped to Europe, the same way I did! That's about far enough to no longer notice the smell of exhaust and pretzels. :)

What? It's still only Tuesday?

Keisha Azzalea said...


I say many thanks to Mr. admin website I read this, because in this website I know a lot of information information that I did not know before his

Cara Menyembuhkan Paru Paru Basah
Cara Menghilangkan Alergi Seafood
Tips Untuk Menghilangkan Alergi Hidung
Obat Sembelit Yang Aman
Cara Mengobati Demam Berdarah
Pengobatan Bells Palsy Herbal
Obat Tradisional Benjolan Di Pantat
Menghilangkan Benjolan Lemak
Obat Penyakit Dompo
Obat Diabetes Insipidus