Friday, July 9, 2010

ReaderCon--Day 1

The first events started last night -- two hour-long sessions of our choosing. I attended one on the cross-over influence of music and other art forms with writing, which made me feel like a dork because I didn't recognize half of the band names people threw around.

"What do you mean you're not familiar with French-Canadian indie fusion bands of the 1980's?"

The second session was on creating characters based on people you know (which is 80% of the people in the Ganzfield books). The discussion was diverted into the use of historical figures (Da Vinci, Abraham Lincoln, etc.) in speculative fiction, but it led to the quote of the day:

"There are terrible people--and then there's Wagner." - Barry Malzberg

Interestingly, in the soundtrack of my mind, this is accompanied by Wagner's music.

I love conventions, because I have no problem approaching interesting-looking green-haired people and striking up a conversation on the merits of Connie Willis' body of work as an exemplar of the logical handling of time travel in fiction.

Wish You Were Here...and, if you are, say "Hi!"

3 comments:

Disgruntled Bear said...

Look for the woman in the MINDER t-shirt. That's probably me.

Osman said...

I wish I was there also. It sounds like a lot of fun.

Vicki Rocho said...

I always feel like a dork because I do not generally connect names with work. This happens MOSTLY with music, but sometimes bleeds over into books too.

Enjoy the conference! And tell all green spiky haired people I said hello. ;)