Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Book Review of BEAUTIFUL CREATURES

Hi folks,

I thought I'd do another book review. I think I might write one a week or so, and I'll usually only write about books I really enjoyed. This is for a couple of reasons: first, I can tell you about a book you actually might want to read. Second, I won't have snarky comments sitting in the archives waiting to bite me in the posterior if and when I ever need a blurb from one of these writers.

BEAUTIFUL CREATURES by Kami Garcia & Margaret Stohl

I used to live in the South. True, it was Virginia, so it was Diet South, not Deep South. But I have to say, the sense of setting in this book, the overwhelmingly oppressive-but-it's-mine sense of small town, was spot-on. I viscerally felt the disapproving looks from the good folks of Gatlin.

True to my "no spoilers" credo, I won't give much away about the plot. The MC, Ethan, dreams repeatedly of a girl in danger. Then he meets her.

And there's a whole lot more to her than most people think.

A male, first-person narrative in a paranormal romance is a first for me. But the authors make it work wonderfully as they develop the best YA romance since TWILIGHT.

Yeah, I did it. I used the "T" word. And I'd do it again, too.

I love the idea of and the word "casters." It's a great term that avoids the pejorative connotations of some of its synonyms. It takes a while to sink into this plot, this world, but the heart of the story moved me from very early on.

And as soon as I finished reading it I turned to the beginning and read it again. There's some wonderful second-level stuff that I needed to fit together in my head.

The authors left enough loose ends for a sequel or two. I hope they won't keep me waiting long.

Bottom Line: I loved this book.

4 comments:

StephTheBookworm said...

Yay, so glad to hear you loved this because I just ordered this from the Book Depository for my birthday!

Disgruntled Bear said...

It's SOOO good. I'd heard of it months ago, but it moved up on my reading list when a bunch of people named it as their favorite book of the year on Nathan Bransford's blog.

Disgruntled Bear said...

UPDATE: I just found out that the sequel will be out late 2010 or early 2011.

keishkaylaaazzalea@gmail.com said...


I say many thanks to Mr. admin website I read this, because in this website I know a lot of information information that I did not know before his
Obat Kram Otak
Obat Sistem Kekebalan Tubuh
Obat Tradisional Benjolan Di Tangan
Kumpulan Artikel Mengenai Kesehatan Dan Kebugaran