Monday, July 11, 2011

And I'd like to thank...

Acknowledgements are good. And here are some great rules to follow when writing them:

http://blacktable.com/emilyg050721.htm

If you're a writer, one thing I recommend is that you keep a Word file called "Acknowledgements." Whenever someone beta reads, helps you with research, encourages you to keep going, or otherwise contributes to your writing, make a quick note of who did what (and for which book, if you have more than one project in the works). Make sure you thank everyone involved with the business side of getting your book published, including your agent and your editor, as well as anyone who works for these folks who makes a significant contribution, like the copy editor who spends twenty hours catching those last typos in the galleys.

It's not hard, and the people involved will cherish it.

2 comments:

Disgruntled Bear said...

I've actually gone in to the list and seen people I'd never have remembered to thank without it, which would have made me feel like a schmuck if I'd remembered once the book was in print.

I guess if I never remembered, then I'd be okay with it.

Kendra said...

You are so right, Kate. I was so very excited to see my name mentioned, and I am still giddy about it. So for those of you out there who do not think that it makes a difference, I can tell you from experience that it does.