Wednesday, March 7, 2012

ARCs

I love ARCs. I love receiving them. I love giving them.

(prepare for a mild rant)

But some people don't seem to understand WHY publishers send them out! 

ARCs are "Advance Review Copies." So, if you don't have a review platform (blog, magazine, etc.), PLEASE don't expect us to send you Advance Review Copies! They are expensive (about three times more than the first editions), and we send them out to REVIEWERS so that they can get the word out about a forthcoming release.

It's not a free book program!

I hope I don't sound mean, but I just cleared several emails from my inbox from people with no review platform who were requesting books. I'm happy that people love our books and want to read more from our authors, but please understand that we'd be even happier if those people would BUY our books, so we can keep publishing more awesome titles.

(end of mild rant)

13 comments:

Dark Franny said...

You don't have to apologies, and you don't sound mean at all. It's like when authors send me review requests without reading my policies first, and I end up receiving genres that I don't even read. That is so frustrating! I don't want to sound harsh or mean either, but after the millionth one I receive, I just delete the email. You have all my understanding :*

Momo (Books Over Boys) said...

I completely agree with Franny. No need to apologize! More people need to understand this!

Amanda @Stuck In YA Books said...

I agree with both Franny and Momo, people should understand this.

Shellie said...

There is no need to apologize for this. People need to be aware and understand this. And also understand that e-copies aren't free either. There have been plenty of discussions about this lately on blogs but people do need to realize that no book - regardless of the format - is free.

Dark Franny said...

I just realized I wrote "apologies" instead of "apologize"... Oh, dear :P

Val said...

Totally agree with you and the commenter!

Needs to be said!

Valerie
StuckInBooks.com

Jennifer L. Armentrout said...

Sounds like my email box, lol

Disgruntled Bear said...

Thanks for the affirmation, everyone!

Stephenie said...

Don't feel the need to apologize.

Peter Smith said...

You're darn tootin' you should apologize! We readers are entitled to receive free ARCs from you, even if it costs you more money. If you don't give ARCs to every single person who wants one, then you are a terrible, terrible person.

(Okay, I might not really believe that; I just felt like going against the grain.)

Kelly Hashway said...

I've already been getting these emails. ARCs are for reviewers. Plain and simple. It's not mean; it's just the nature of an ARC.

Cassandra Geribo said...

I agree completely. What bugs me is when people start a blog just to get ARCs then stack them up and NEVER review them. That's always fun to see. I look at all these "IMM" posts and then never see a review on the book. No need to apologize!

keishkaylaaazzalea@gmail.com said...


I say many thanks to Mr. admin website I read this, because in this website I know a lot of information information that I did not know before his
Obat Polip Pita Suara Herbal
Obat Benjolan Lemak
Obat Flu Batuk Untuk Ibu Hamil Muda
Cara Menghilangkan Kanker Tulang