Wednesday, November 3, 2010

E-Books

Don't forget to vote in the Great Query Contest!

Elif Batuman has written a great article about how buying e-books while drinking. Check it out here:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2010/oct/02/elif-batuman-ebooks-buying

My own Kindle-for-Mac software has been acting up. Every time I try to launch it, it bounces around for a few seconds, then quits. I've been on the phone with four different people at Amazon, and one of them basically said that the way to solve the problem (that the software doesn't open) was to open the software and select "deregister" from the Kindle menu. 

*sigh*

Part of me thinks that I must've hit the magic number of purchased e-books to trigger the "she really should buy the actual Kindle" sub-program. Perhaps they figure that, by holding my unread books hostage, I'll actually spring for the real-deal machine.

I refuse to give them the satisfaction. 

Truthfully, it's probably because I'm still running an older Mac OS (10.5) and one of the automatic security updates or something is causing a conflict, but it's more interesting to believe there's a massive corporate conspiracy, right?

1 comment:

Disgruntled Bear said...

Good thing I still have a TBR pile of paper books that's two feet high and three books deep, or I might not have anything to do in my *snicker* copious spare time.