Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Disgruntled Bear Press

I'm working through the kinks of self-publishing. I'm looking into professional editors. I have a couple of artists sending sample work for the book trailer and publicity materials. I have a cover design. I'm talking to a marketing person today.

Now I'm thinking about how I print the books. I'm going to use a POD service like Lulu or CreateSpace, but POD isn't sexy. There's nothing to list when the form calls for "Publisher." So, should I start my own publishing company?

On the plus side, I already have an LLC here in New Hampshire, so adding a service like publishing is easy. And it doesn't change the costs or anything. I enjoyed reading and editing the queries and partials in my recent contest, too. Maybe I should start my own press, for both my own work and other YA fantasy books. I've googled a bunch of names for it, and right now I'm considering something like "Spencer Hill Press," since some of my favorites are already taken. (e.g., "Grimoire Press," which I liked for YA fantasy books because our slogan could have been "There's magic in these pages.")

What do you think? Does it make a difference to you if a book lists a publisher or not? What do you think of the name "Spencer Hill Press?" Got any suggestions?

7 comments:

Disgruntled Bear said...

The name "Spencer Hill" comes from family names.

I like it because it sounds official and vaguely pretentious.

Disgruntled Bear said...

Ooh, another partial request today! So World Domination Plan A isn't dead, even though I'm working on Plan B.

StephTheBookworm said...

Sounds like you are really moving right along with the publishing! Good for you! I wish you lots of luck. This is very exciting!

Unknown said...

In the previous post, I think you asked if anyone knew of a good professional editor. Well, it so happens I do. This person seems to make a hobby out of helping new writers. His name is Geoff Fuller (www.evergreensyndicate.com)
and his rates are reasonable.

If and when my work-in-progress develops into a completed novel, I plan to hire Geoff to edit my MS.
I hope this helps. BTW, best of luck with the request for a partial. Way to go.

Disgruntled Bear said...

Thanks for the link, Andrea!

June G said...

Are you sure about this self-publishing thing? How are you planning to distribute the books?

Disgruntled Bear said...

Hi June,

I've been looking into it. Amazon's CreateSpace has a pro option that allows wholesale ordering of books by other retailers. However, I'm probably going through Lightning Source, which is a subsidiary of Ingram Book Group and uses their distribution network.

To use it, I'll need to start my own indie press (hence this post). I'll need to format my book myself (using InDesign, which I've used before), and get my own ISBNs, etc.

So, while I'd still prefer the traditional agent-publisher route, I'm going to push forward with Plan B, too. Since two agents currently have partials of MINDER, Plan A isn't dead, though.

I just decided to, in the immortal words of Weird Al, "Take life by the lips and YANK!"