Saturday, March 13, 2010

Winner of the Logline Contest

I think I scared some of you. Aspiring writers seem to fear loglines even more than query letters.

When we really know that the hardest thing is writing a synopsis that doesn't read like a grade-school book report.

Or maybe that's just mine.

But, to our newest winner, Joshua, I say "Congratulations!"

His winning entry:

B.Y. Jove was just a humble butler for the Pilliwick family, in Victorian England, until the zombies attacked. Now Jove must lower his manners and raise the stakes.

It's no more Mr Nice guy, B.Y. Jove.

Great job, Joshua! Thanks for getting into the spirit of this. Please email me to claim your prize.

Happy weekend, everyone!

3 comments:

Disgruntled Bear said...

Actually, writing jacket copy and LOC (Library of Congress) summaries is easier than the typical 500-word synopsis. I think it's because I don't have to give away the end, so I can write things that pique the reader's curiosity.

I hate giving away the ending. Spoilers are evil.

Oh, and an old college friend's book has the BEST LOC summary I've ever read:
"Fans of the world's most popular children's book are unfairly cheated after mistakenly purchasing a poorly-written, obnoxious spoof. They form a vigilante group and track down the author, executing him in a particularly unpleasant way."

And, under "Also by Michael Gerber," he lists the title: "Are You There, God? It's Me, Hitler."

If this inspires you to buy a copy of BARRY TROTTER AND THE UNAUTHORIZED PARODY, be warned: you'll just be encouraging him.

Jenny said...

for what it's worth, you didn't scare me...I just don't have a mind that thinks that kind of funny. I even tried...for oh, 45 seconds. Got nowhere. Renewed conviction of own personal not-funnitude. moved on. So. Can I read an early draft of your cougars? b/c THAT, I think, will be seriously funny. Also, timely. :-)

Disgruntled Bear said...

Hi Glacierlilies,

It's still just notes, but I'll take you up on the offer when it's ready for another set of eyes -- Thanks!