Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Here There Be Dragons

If you write speculative speculative fiction--sci-fi, fantasy, paranormal--or even about a sub-culture of society--the Amish, college marching bands, etc.--you need to introduce the reader to your world. How do you do it?

I haven't done a comparative study, but it seems that the most common method is to bring in a new character, often the MC, and have the world unfold as he or she discovers it.

For example, one could send a New York doctor to live in a small town in Alaska (Northern Exposure).

So, if you're a writer with your own world or sub-culture, how do YOU bring the reader in?

Don't forget to vote for your favorite awesome line in the Spring Writing Contest! We've gotten over 160 votes so far and some clear favorites are emerging. But it's the internet, and, like Ivy-League football, anything can happen.

3 comments:

M.J. Fifield said...

I am one of those writers with her own world but I honestly don't know how I bring the reader in.

lexcade said...

I try to let it unfold as organically as possible, only explaining if it's absolutely necessary. if it's something the MC already knows, I try to let it explain itself in context, if that makes any sense...

So far, my worlds aren't that far removed from regular life, so that also helps LOL

Disgruntled Bear said...

I think the big stuff (e.g., "You're a wizard, Harry.") needs to come out early, but the subtleties (that doesn't look spelled right to me) can come out along the way. It's nice to have some new stuff in each book of a series, as well.